The Note-2 Study
The NOTE-2 (Novel Treatments for Endometriosis) Study is a 6-month clinical trial currently being offered within the Boston Center for Endometriosis. This research study is investigating whether an existing non-hormonal medication is effective for controlling pain and symptoms of endometriosis. We will be comparing this study medication to a placebo pill (a sugar pill). You may be eligible if you are female, 15-40 years old, have had surgery for endometriosis in the last 3 years, are experiencing chronic pain due to endometriosis, and are using hormonal treatment for your endometriosis, such as birth control pills, norethindrone acetate, or a hormonal intrauterine device (IUD).
Participants are asked to:
- Take a study medication twice a week for six months. Participants will be randomized (chosen by a flip of a coin) to either receive cabergoline (the study medication) or a placebo pill (a sugar pill) for 6 months.
- Make 3 visits to the Experimental Therapeutics Unit (ETU) at Boston Children’s Hospital for the research study over 6 months
- Give blood and urine samples and have vital signs measured at each visit
- Complete questionnaires about your physical and emotional health at each visit
- Have an ultrasound of a blood vessel and sensory testing performed at each visit
- Complete a daily symptom diary in the form of an online survey
Participants will receive up to $225 in gift cards as a thank you for participating, as well as free parking or MBTA vouchers for each research visit.
Principal Investigator is Dr. Amy DiVasta
For more information and to see if you are eligible, please contact the study team:
617-355-3309 │ email@example.com
The NOTE team is excited to announce that we will be expanding our recruitment efforts! In the near future the NOTE Expansion Study will begin enrolling patients at sites in Philadelphia and New York City. All eligibility criteria, and study procedures remain the same for the NOTE expansion sites, except for the ultrasound of a blood vessel. If interested in hearing more about upcoming enrollment at the expansion sites, please contact the study team (617-355-3309 / firstname.lastname@example.org
This study can be found under ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT0392828